We are selling our wonderful wood cookstove – $1500, you move. It’s been our heat, oven, and cooktop – it bakes great bread. Let us know if you are interested -it’s a great price and cleans up beautifully with a little stove black.
Our big project this month has been the kitchen.
We bought a new fridge and a used range.
Installed a kitchen window.
Next we raised (on 2x4s for added height) and installed the new cabinets.
Lastly, we installed our new sink. (First time I’ve had hot running water in the kitchen in five years!)
Time to move all the food and dishes!
It’s been getting a little cold around here…
So we tackled the woodstove, hearth, and chimney.
First, we had to move the several-hundred-pound hearth form the little yurt. Turns out Paul glued it to the floor, so he had to remove the floor with the hearth.
Then we had to move it and place it into the new yurt.
Next, Paul hooked up the new chimney.
And finally, we moved the woodstove with help from John and Linda and some tool borrowing from Ted and Myrt.
We rolled it on skateboards out of the little yurt and into the tractor bucket.
Then we drove it over to the new yurt where I cleaned it up.
Now it’s nice and toasty inside!
Wow, it’s been a long time since we’ve posted! I’ll try to do some catching up this week.
Paul and I are up in the little open loft, Kari is in her room. (She’s even had a sleepover in there.)
Once we were all sleeping in the new yurt, we decided to tackle the bathroom…
First, I textured and painted.
Paul installed the water heater. And we did the tub, window, and sink. I lifted the sink onto a little box as it was too low.
It’s been so busy around here I forgot to take photos! But I thought I’d give a quick update anyway and thank my wonderful family for helping out!
Paul has been in bed with the flu, so I’m trying to juggle taking care of him, yurt building, getting the garden going, and building a chicken coop. They are all coming along though.
The weather has been sunny and warm so we started mudding the drywall (the parts that are up anyway…). My aunt came up and taught me how to wet sponge/sand the mud and I am so grateful she did! No sanding or dust, just gently wiping the semi-dry mud with a damp sponge and letting it dry. Thank you Marcia!
My dad and Osse came up and and helped get things moving too – it was so nice to have a crew helping. It’s amazing how fast you can get things done! Especially helpers who already know what they are doing. Thank you both so much!
It felt great to see things moving along so quickly, I put some second coats on the next day, but then I started fading and so did the weather. I had to get the roof on the chicken coop and the peas in the garden before the rain set in today, so the mudding slowed down. Now the weather is turning and we’ll have to wait to finish the mudding. Disappointing, but there is plenty of other work to do! (cement board and drywall in the bathroom and kitchen, plumbing, loft…)