Tag Archive | yurt

Updates!

It’s been awhile since we posted, so here is a quick photo catch-up!

Took a break to build a coop for our new chickens!

Took a break to build a coop for our new chickens!

New chicks arrived! Very little sleep as we kept the fire blazing 24/7 to keep them warm.

New chicks arrived! Very little sleep as we kept the fire blazing 24/7 to keep them warm.

Plumbing and Electric almost done!

Plumbing and Electric almost done!

Chicks getting bigger!

Chicks getting bigger!

Bedroom walls textured.

Bedroom walls textured.

Iron propane pipes run.

Iron propane pipes run.

Growing chicks

Growing chicks

kari1

Kari painted her room blue! (Yolo paints are great! Environmentally friendly and made in Portland!)

Kari painted her room blue! (Yolo paints are great! Environmentally friendly and made in Portland!)

before shelf

Refinished a shelf for Kari's room.

Refinished a shelf for Kari’s room.

Chickens are almost grown!

Chickens are almost grown!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Light!

We have two new windows and the electric is wired!

It’s not hooked up to the inverter and batteries yet, but we can hook it up through an extension cord and all the wiring works!

My computer crashed and ate the photos, so none of the electric lights, but I’ll take some more of the windows tomorrow.IMG_9510      IMG_9513

Sprained Ankle

Sprained my ankle today stepping down from the yurt door. Not too badly, shouldn’t interfere with the project much, but it hurts tonight.

It’s been a slow month, but we have lots of materials ordered and arriving throughout the next few weeks.

We’ve been getting little things done – like the rain diverter in and the cables tightened – Paul thought to use garden hoes for that so it went very quickly and easily with no ladders needed until we clamped the end.

The electric is coming along as well, another slow task as we have so much to learn each step of the way.

     

Now we are working on the ceiling insulation – not a fun job 😦

There is a cable in the ceiling of the yurt that is structurally important, but interferes with the insulation. Here is our solution:

Step 1: (cut your piece of insulation to fit) Then fit it into the space and press it against the cable. This leaves an indentation at each edge of the insulation where the cable is.

Step 2: Draw a straight line from each edge-dent.

Step 3: Cut the line about 2″ deep a couple of times (to make a wider cut) with a circular saw.

Step 4: Fit the insulation back into its space and the cable will press right into the groove you cut.

Slow going, and very dusty work, but it’s coming along.

Hopefully the wall insulation will be much better – it’s recycled denim, so not all the toxic plastic particles flying around.

Wind and a Window

Paul worked out in the pouring rain yesterday to make sure the yurt was solid and ready for the wind and more rain expected last night. Glad he did because it came in full force! Our yurt looks great this morning, still standing and weather tight 🙂

  

Earlier this week we worked to get the first window in before the rain came.

  

  

  

We got close, but part way through we realized that the trim/weather seal has a right side and a left side (not in the directions, but pretty obvious – I think we were tired), the rain came in and we called it a day.

So yesterday morning I went out to take down the trim we had put up and redo it correctly before the rain started again.


Now we have our first window completed! While we wait for our two other windows to get here, we are getting ready to start on electricity. I’m reading books as fast as I can so we can get started this week. I think I’ll need some help…

Plan 13

When they say the heavy-duty top cover is heavy, they aren’t kidding! We attempted to get it onto the roof using people-power, but were unsuccessful. We tried a few combinations of people and tractor unsuccessfully as well.

     

We took a lunch break to think it over and recruit some fresh minds to take on the challenge.

We built a ramp for the top cover to slide up, with a board attached across the rafters so the full weight wasn’t on the end of the lattice. The we hooked a tow-rope around the middle of the folded (triangular) top cover, threw the rope over the center ring and tied it on to the tractor on the other side. The (very heavy-duty marine) rope was tied to the tractor far enough back that it didn’t touch the cable/lattice on the far side – so the weight stayed focused evenly over the dome.

     

Once it was up there, unrolling it went very well.

     

     

     

           

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

     

Thanks for all the great pictures Liv!

Our roof   🙂

Over the Door

We cut and installed the over the door rafters. It was pretty easy, except for the wind – we made a big dent in the floor when one of the rafters fell down as we were trying to get it in. But all the rafters are now in and secured to the doors.